The European Students’ Union is HIRING a new Project Officer!
The application deadline is 16/04/2023 (23:59 CET)
Are you a value-driven professional passionate about the student movement and advocating for quality and inclusive education? Then apply now for ESU’s position: we are looking for a Project Officer to join our team and implement our work to promote “Equal educational and social opportunities in an open and democratic Europe where students shape a sustainable future.”
The application deadline is 16/04/2023 (23:59 CET)
More about ESU
The European Students Union (ESU) is the umbrella organisation of 45 National Unions of Students from 40 countries and thus represents over 20 million students in Europe. Since 1982, it has represented and promoted students’ educational, social, economic and cultural interests at a European level towards all relevant bodies (European Union, BFUG, Council of Europe, and UNESCO) in the Education sector.
We offer a diverse and multicultural working environment in the centre of the EU district!
About the Position
An experienced, motivated and committed individual to be our next Project Officer. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about democracy, inclusion and sustainability and wants to make higher education policy-making more understandable and accessible to everyone!
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Starting date: May 2023, exact date to be confirmed
- Duration: One-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of extension. Employment contract under Belgian employment law with a benefits package. (37.5 hr/week).
- The gross monthly salary, according to the Commission Paritaire 329.03 currently applied at ESU, is 2,000.00€, which will be commensurate with abilities and experience, plus attractive additional benefits (transport, food vouchers, per diem during occasional travel, etc.).
- Flexibility about home-teleworking some days per week with a 50€ monthly allowance compensation.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
- Work on the whole project’s cycle (proposal writing, implementation and reporting);
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the projects under Erasmus+, Council of Europe, European Youth Foundation and other funding streams;
- Handle the logistics and all procedures of the projects;
- Work on the project’s budget and financial reporting;
- Coordinate and organise meetings, conferences, trainings and other project-related events, and prepare the necessary materials, including concept notes, reports, presentations, agendas and minutes;
- Act as a liaison between project coordinators and other people involved in the projects;
- Regularly report and communicate with the donor institution(s) and/or managing authority.
- Liaise with the diverse membership of ESU in matters relating to projects.
The Secretariat of ESU is small, the workload varies according to project cycles, application and reporting periods, therefore project teams assist each other during times of higher workload.
Eligibility requirements and skills/abilities
You are an ideal candidate for this position if you:
- Have experience in working in project management for a minimum of two years;
- A person who is full of initiative, self-driven, curious, creative, flexible and results-oriented;
- Solid project life cycle understanding;
- Experience in coordinating and leading a project;
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and compelling manner;
- Good understanding of the functioning of the EU institutions, EU’s political priorities and main policies is an asset;
- Understanding of EU Programmes, especially those related to higher education and youth;
- Able to communicate information accurately and in a youth-friendly way;
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to prioritise work, work under tight deadlines and pay attention to detail;
- Having background in youth or student organisation is an asset;
- Good ICT skills (MS Office, MS Project, Google Drive, etc.);
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; knowledge of other languages is an asset.
The position might require travel in Europe several times during the year, fully covered by ESU, and occasional weekends, which would be compensated.
How to apply?
ESU is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, ethnicity or any other direct or indirect type of discrimination.
If you are interested in applying for the position of Project Officer, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Project Officer – Your Name and Surname’, including the mandatory attachments:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages), Europass is better but not mandatory!
- And the application form (in pdf format).
- Motivational letter explaining why you are interested in the position, or, you can send a short video! We’re good with any format.
- A recommendation letter is an asset.
Deadline to apply and agenda:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to be invited to the following phases of the
recruitment process, which will consist of an interview.
- ESU Secretariat must receive all applications by the 16th of April, 23:39 (CET)
- Around the 20th of April, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to an online interview.
- Decision and notification shall take place before the end of April.
- The selected person should start working in the Secretariat of ESU by mid-May 2022.
The selected candidate will need to reside in or relocate to Belgium when the employment contract starts.
Belgium & life in Brussels
Belgium, a country in Western Europe, is known for its mediaeval towns, and Renaissance architecture, and as the headquarters of the European Union and NATO.
Brussels has an estimated population of 2,065,284 people. In addition to ample green spaces, it is world-renowned for its fine beer, divine chocolate, and Belgian lace. Brussels is Belgium’s quintessential capital city, full of Art Deco taverns, unique Flemish art, towering Gothic cathedrals, and quaint guild houses.
Belgium is also home to NATO headquarters and to the EU Commission and European Parliament. Brussels is referred to as the capital of the EU. The city centre is compact, very lively, peculiar and multicultural.
The city is easy to get around, has a good standard of living and an excellent working environment. ESU’s premises are situated in Mundo Madou very close to the EU district and the City. ESU can help with advice on reallocation and getting accustomed to life in Brussels.
Protection of personal data
As the body responsible for organising the competition, ESU ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC. This applies in particular to the confidentiality and security of such data. You can request anytime, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, to alter, delete your data or information about the data we processed and how it is stored.
For more information, please send an email to: email@example.com or call the ESU secretariat: +32 2 329 00 27