The European Students’ Union (ESU) is the umbrella organisation of 45 National Unions of Students (NUS) from 40 countries.
The NUSes are open to all students in their respective country regardless of political persuasion, religion, ethnic or cultural origin, sexual orientation or social standing. Our members are also student-run, autonomous, representative and operate according to democratic principles. ESU was formerly known as ESIB – The National Unions of Students in Europe. ESU’s name and image is legally being used by ESU AISBL, BE0896.361.756, Mundo-
Madou. Avenue des Arts 7/8, 1210 Bruxelles.
ESU is diverse, democratic and open-minded.
- We represent all students in Europe, understanding the diversity of the students. ESU is inclusive and strives for solidarity within the students’ movement.
- We are independent. ESU structures facilitate the
accountability of the elected representatives, works with respect towards all members and their different opinions and functions transparently.
- We are unconventional and open for new
thoughts. We, as experts of higher education bring in courageous and smart ideas through a fresh and spontaneous, but professional attitude.
Since decisions concerning higher education are increasingly taken at the European level, ESU’s role as the only European- wide student platform is similarly growing.
- Bringing together, training and informing national
student representatives on policy developments in
higher education at the European level;
- Organising seminars, training, campaigns and conferences relevant to students;
- Conducting European-wide research, partnership projects and campaigns;
- Producing a variety of publications for students,
policy-makers and higher education professionals.
See also ESU’s statutes and standing orders, ESU’s activity reports and ESU’s Plans of
ESU’s mission as adopted at its 61st Board Meeting: ESU’s mission is to represent, defend and strengthen students’ educational, democratic and political and social rights. ESU will work for sustainable, accessible and high quality higher education in Europe.
Equal educational and social opportunities
in an open and democratic Europe where students shape a sustainable future.
Here you can download various versions of logos related to ESU and its project in different formats.
See our guidelines for logo use.
Discover our organisation
by clicking on following links: