Spain – CREUP – Public Universities’ Students Union
Address: Consejo de Estudiantes de la UAH Universidad de Alcalá de Henares Callejón de Santa Maria s/n 28801 Alcalá de Henares (Madrid) Spain
Phone: +34 622 137 240
CREUP is an umbrella organisation of 35 top student representative bodies (as Local Students’ Unions) from Spanish public universities. Through its members, CREUP represents over 1.000.000 students in Spain.
The Local Students’ Union members of CREUP are open to all students in their respective higher education Institutions regardless of political persuasion, religion, ethnic or cultural origin, sexual orientation or social standing. Our members are also student-run, autonomous, representative and operate according to democratic principles.
The purposes for which the association was created, referred to in its Statute, are:
- To ensure that the rights and duties of students represented by the MOREs of CREUP are respected and enforced, as well as representing their interests at the state and international levels.
- To actively contribute to creating a student representative body at the state level, in which every student representative body takes part.
- To coordinate the activities of the MOREs of CREUP in the state student council, as well as the various agencies and institutions of the state where they can participate.
- To establish an effective system of communication and transmission of information between our members.
- To study problems relating to the state of universities, preparing proposals that reflect the opinion of CREUP.
- To promote activities that encourage the participation of students in all areas of university life in the MOREs.
- To be the interlocutor and liaison of the students and actively participate in associations and international organisations in which CREUP is a member, especially The European Students’ Union.
- Any other that are agreed by the General Assembly that do not enter into conflict with the provisions of CREUP’s statutes.
The main activities that CREUP organises are:
- Training Stage (Stage Formativo): The Training Stage is a yearly event organised and oriented to new student representatives from CREUP’s MOREs and other organisations where they can go and learn about the different areas of student representation such as social dimension, policy and law, internationalisation, communication and quality assurance.
- Meeting of Representatives (Encuentro de Representantes): The Meeting of Representatives serves as a forum for debate and communication between the MOREs and CREUP and serves as a place to meet and exchange experiences with the intention of bettering relations and the university system of Spain.
- National University Congress (Congreso Universitario Nacional): Usually celebrated along with the Meeting of Representatives, this Congress is held by CREUP and the different Higher Education organisations where students can attend round tables between students, professors and experts, discussions and lectures. The Congress also serves as a forum to debate different aspects of the university system between students and Rectors.
- Ordinary General Assembly (Asamblea General Ordinaria): The Ordinary General Assembly is the in-person bi-annual meeting of CREUP’s governing and decision-making body.