Join the ESU team in Brussels! Call for Financial Officer (50%)
The European Students’ Union (ESU) is looking for a team player to fill the half-time position of financial officer at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium to start as soon as possible. ESU is the umbrella organisation of 45 national unions of students from 38 European countries and represents the interests of students at the European level: EU, Council of Europe, Bologna Follow Up Group and UNESCO.
• To handle the bookkeeping including reimbursements, settling payments, issuing invoices;
• To administer and monitor the financial system in order to ensure that ESU finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner;
• To follow up and update on the ESU employee files and records and verify calculation and payment of staff salaries and allowances;
• To assist in the budgeting procedure when necessary;
• To follow and ensure adherence to the Internal ESU Financial Guidelines;
• To assist in internal and external audits;
• Good knowledge of bookkeeping and payroll accounting. A professional or a bachelor degree related to accountancy and bookkeeping will be considered as an advantage;
• Experience with Belgian fiscal and social legislation;
• Good knowledge of financial management;
• Knowledge and experience in financial reporting international projects, in particular projects funded by the European Commission;
• Good knowledge in English (the working language of ESU) and French or Dutch (work language with the payroll accountancy);
• Basic knowledge on accountancy and bookkeeping software
• Good planning skills and ability to respect deadlines;
• Coordination and team communication skills;
• Ability to work individually and in a team;
ESU very much values initiative and strives for self-development. We would be very interested to welcome a person who isinterested in student and higher education issues and who has a positive, but responsible attitude towards her/his work responsibilities and colleagues!
The Financial officer will be a well-organised and hard-working team player, able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment and with tight deadlines, willing to travel occasionally to cover major events of the organisation. The Financial Officer will be responsible for maintaining financial, accounting, administrative and personnel services in order to meet internal and legal requirements
As an organisation who strongly promotes equality, we require all ESU elected representatives and staff to follow the ESU Ethical guidelines, Code of Conduct and the Gender mainstreaming strategy.
Terms of contract:
• The position is advertised for 19 hours per week agreement, with the potential of increasing to 37,5 hours beginning from May 2012;
• 2 years initial contract with a six months trial period;
• 20 days of paid holidays/ year;
• Based in Brussels, involves occasional travel;
• The applicant must have a working permit for the European Union;
• Candidates should be available to start working in October/November 2011;
Proposed starting date: 24th October 2011
Gross salary: 1200 EUR/month for 19 hours per week, next to other benefits (i.e. meal vouchers). For more details of the terms of contract, please contact the ESU Vice-Chairperson, Karina Ufert at email@example.com.
How to apply:
Please send a CV, a motivation letter and, if available, any letters of recommendation and/or work portfolio by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th October, 23:59 CET.
It is expected that the motivation letter would explain your motivation to apply for this job, how would you contribute to the development of the organisation and how your past experiences and/or educational background would support your work as FO. Received applications will be evaluated against a predefined scorecard. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Skype and/or in person. If necessary, final applicants will be invited to attend a face-to-face interview in Brussels on 20th October (or around this date).