ESU is looking for a Financial Officer
Join our team in Brussels!The European Students’ Union (ESU) is looking for a team player to fill the position of a Financial Officer (FO) at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The Financial Officer will be responsible for maintaining financial, accounting, administrative and personnel services in order to meet internal and legal requirements.
The FO will be responsible for:
• Handle the bookkeeping, including reimbursements and settle payments;
• Administer and monitor the financial system in order to ensure that ESU’s finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner;
• Administer employee files and records in order to ensure accurate payment of benefits and allowances;
• Clarify any questions concerning human resources and payroll;
• Providing efficient and effective office and activities management;
• Supporting the presidency in budgeting, cash-flow planning etc.;
• Financial reporting on EU-funded projects.
• Good knowledge of bookkeeping and payroll accounting. A professional or a bachelor degree related to accountancy and bookkeeping will be seen as a plus.
• Knowledge and experience in human resource management;
• Good knowledge of financial management. A qualification in the field or comparable experience will be considered as an advantage;
• Knowledge and experience in financial reporting international projects, in particular projects funded by the European Commission, will be considered as an advantage;
• Good knowledge in English (the working language of ESU) and French or Dutch (working languages of the payroll accountancy);
• Good computer skills and web literacy; Basic knowledge on accountancy and bookkeeping software
• Good planning skills and ability to respect deadlines;
• Coordination and team communication skills;
• Ability to work individually and in a team.
Since ESU values very much initiative and strives for self-development, we would be very interested to welcome in our team a person with such attributes, who is interested in student and higher education issues and with a positive, but responsible, attitude towards her/his work responsibilities and colleagues
The Financial Officer should be a well-organised and hard-working team player, who is able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment and with tight deadlines, and willing to travel occasionally to cover major events of the organisation.
As ESU strongly promotes equality, the organisation requires that all of its elected representatives and staff members follow the ESU Ethical Guidelines, Code of Conduct and the Gender Mainstreaming Strategy.
Terms of contract:
• indeterminate employment contact with a six months trial period;
• based in Brussels, occasional travel;
• the applicant must have a work permit for the European Union;
• candidates should be available to start working in September 2013.
Ideal starting date: 10 September 2013
Gross salary: 2400 EUR/month for 37,5 hours per week. Additionally, ESU offers food vouchers in the amount of 120 EUR/month.
For more details of the terms of contract, please contact the present ESU Vice-Chairperson at email@example.com or +32 (0) 473 66 98 92.
How to apply:
Please send a CV, a motivation letter and, if available, any letters of recommendation and/or work portfolio by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 CET on August 15, 2013.
It is expected that the motivation letter clarifies why you are applying for the job, what kind of special skills and benefits you would bring to the organisation and how your past experiences and/or education will support your work as FO. Received applications will be evaluated against a predefined scorecard. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Skype and/or in person in August. If necessary, final applicants will be invited to attend a face-to-face interview in Brussels at the end of August.