Call for a Financial Officer – Deadline for application extended until the 27th January, 24:00
ESU – The European Students’ Union is looking for a new Financial Officer to work from our Brussels Office.
ESU is the umbrella organisation of 49 national unions of students from 38 countries. The aim of ESU is to represent and promote the educational, social, economic and cultural interest of students at a European Level towards all relevant bodies and in particular the European Union, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
The Financial officer will be a well organized and hard-working team player, able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment and with tight deadlines, willing to travel occasionally to cover major events of the organization.
The Financial Officer will be responsible for maintaining financial, accounting, administrative and personnel services in order to meet internal and legal requirements
1 – Administer and monitor the financial system in order to ensure that ESU finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner
2 – In coordination with the Project Officer, manage project finances and prepare financial reports for donor institutions
3 – Administer employee files and records in order to ensure accurate payment of benefits and allowances
The FO will also contribute towards:
4 – Raising funds for ESU and find new sources of financing
5 – Providing efficient and effective office and activities management
- Good knowledge in English (the working language of ESU) and at least basic knowledge of French.
- Good knowledge of managing finances, including bookkeeping. A professional or a bachelor degree related to accountancy and bookkeeping will be seen as a plus.
- Experience in working for non-profit youth organizations, preferably student unions will be seen as a plus.
- Experience in managing and reporting finances for international projects, in particular projects funded by the European Commission.
- Team and communication skills, preferably within networks
- Adequate computer skills and web literacy. Basic knowledge on accountancy and bookkeeping software
- Availability to travel and occasionally working at weekends
The FO will be respond directly to the Office Manager and the Executive Committee.
Terms of contract
- The position is advertised for 37.5 hours per week agreement.
- 2 years initial contract with a six months trial period.
- 20 days of paid holidays
- based in Brussels
- the applicant must have a valid permit to work in the European Union
For more details of the terms of contract, salary conditions or a detailed job description, please contact Mr Paulo Fontes, ESU Director at email@example.com
How to apply
Please send a CV, a motivation letter and if possible letters of recommendation by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24:00 on January 27th, 2008.
It is expected that the motivation letter will clarify why you are applying for the job, what kind of special skills and benefits you would
bring to the organisation and how your past experiences and/or education would support your work as FO.
Received applications will be evaluated against a predefined scorecard. If necessary final applicants will be invited to attend a face to face interview in Brussels between the 7th and 8th of February. ESU will reimburse any travel costs for attending such interview.
Applicants will preferably be available to start working from the 15th of February 2008. Please state your availability on your motivation letter
ESU actively promotes equal opportunities for all individuals regardless of their political belief, religion; ethnic or cultural origin, gender, sexual orientation, social standing or any disability they may have.