The European Students’ Union is HIRING a new Projects and Research Officer!
The European Students Union (ESU) is the umbrella organisation of 45 National Unions of Students from 40 countries and thus represents over 20 million students in Europe. Since 1982, it represents and promotes the educational, social, economic and cultural interests of students at a European level towards all relevant bodies (European Union, BFUG, Council of Europe, and UNESCO) in the Education sector.
ESU’s work is focused on Students’ Mobility and Internationalisation, Social Dimension and lifelong learning, Quality and Public Responsibility and its activities include conducting European-wide research, partnership projects and campaigns, providing information services and producing a variety of publications for students, policy-makers and higher education professionals; bringing together, resourcing, training and informing national student representatives on policy developments in higher education (HE) at the European level.
About the Position
An experienced, motivated and committed individual to be our next Projects and Research Officer.
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Starting date: 1st September 2022.
- Duration: One-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of extension. Employment contract under Belgian employment law with a benefits package.
- 2,000.00€ monthly gross salary, which will be commensurate with abilities and experience, plus legal benefits (transport, food vouchers, per diem during occasional travel, etc.).
- Flexibility about teleworking some days per week.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Projects and Research Officer contributes to the strategic development of the policy area higher education within the projects and assumes responsibility for the implementation of project activities. The tasks of the Policy and Research Officer include:
Project Management (40%)
- Coordinating the implementation of project actions connected to different ESU projects (e.g. KA2 E+ projects), including:
- Participation to partners’ meetings
- Contact with partners
- Desk research and working on the development of concrete deliverables
- Follow up and narrative reporting
- Financial report – with the support of Projects’ team
- Ensuring coherent communications of assigned projects and coordination with the Communications Team;
- Support in the preparation of grant requests from the EU Commission, Council of Europe and other institutions associated with ESU’s activities;
- Implementing the activities foreseen in the frame of 5 EU-funded projects under ‘Initiatives to support the implementation of European Higher Education Area (EHEA) reforms.’
- Support the implementation of Survey building, quantitative data collection and analysis and desk research;
- Contributing to the coherence between the projects and the annual work plan of ESU during all the stages of the project cycle;
- Supporting in drafting and editing of research reports and other documents;
General tasks (10%)
- Performs regularly and efficiently various administrative tasks;
- Collaborates with colleagues in organising project events;
- Collaborates with colleagues and partners to develop project deliverables;
- Performs regularly and efficiently various administrative tasks.
The Officer supports the transversal policy work of ESU within the projects and the cooperation with relevant partners.
The Officer is free to propose initiatives related to their work in line with their experience, in order to improve, develop or adapt their everyday duties.
Eligibility requirements and skills/abilities
- Academic master’s degree within a relevant field or equivalent work experience (e.g. EU Studies, Political Sciences, Educational Studies, Sociology)
- Good knowledge of HE policies, processes and stakeholders (Bologna Process,..);
- Knowledge of survey building, quantitative data collection and analysis;
- Experience in desk research, and previous involvement in research both on policy and for projects;
- Experience of at least 2 years in project design, management and implementation, and budget follow-up (preferably EU projects) with a willingness to learn and grow fast;
- Ability to work on several different projects and topics at the same time;
- Ability to identify key advocacy opportunities and related stakeholders, and to advance the identified policy priorities;
- Experience in the organisation of internal and external events, online and in-person;
- Digital literacy;
- Capable to work independently;
- Teamwork skills;
- Experience in working with or within a membership-based organisation;
- Advanced knowledge of more languages relevant to the position;
How to apply?
ESU is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
If you are interested in applying for the position of Policy and Research Officer, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Policy and Research Officer – Your Name and Surname’, including:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages), Europass is better but not mandatory!
- A motivation letter is mandatory.
- A list of research experience or/and a letter of reference is an asset.
Deadline to apply and agenda:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to be invited to the following phases of the recruitment process, which will consist of a written assignment and one interview.
- ESU Secretariat must receive all applications by the 10th of June (CET)
- By the beginning of the third week of June, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to an online or in-person interview.
- Decision and notification shall take place before the end of June.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Belgium. ESU regrets it, but we do not sponsor work permits.
The selected person would ideally start working in the Secretariat of ESU on the 1st of September 2022.
ESU is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusion and diversity.
Belgium & life in Brussels
Belgium, a country in Western Europe, is known for medieval towns, and Renaissance architecture and as the headquarters of the European Union and NATO.
Brussels has an estimated population of 2,065,284 people. In addition to ample green spaces, is world-renowned for its fine beer, divine chocolate, and Belgian lace. Brussels is Belgium’s quintessential capital city, full of Art Deco taverns, unique Flemish art, towering Gothic cathedrals, and quaint guild houses.
Belgium is also home to NATO headquarters and to the EU Commission and European Parliament. Brussels is referred to as the capital of the EU. The city centre is compact, very lively, peculiar and multicultural.
The city is easy to get around, has a good standard of living and an excellent working environment. ESU’s premises are situated in Mundo Madou very close to the EU district and the City.
Further information is available at https://visit.brussels/en, https://expatsinbrussels.be/en,
Protection of personal data
As the body responsible for organising the competition, ESU ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC. This applies in particular to the confidentiality and security of such data.
For more information, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ESU secretariat: +32 2 329 00 27
PDF version of the Call for Projects and Research Officer available here