The European Students’ Union is hiring a new Communication Manager!
The application deadline is 12/01/23 (23:59 CET)
The European Students’ Union (ESU) represents 20 million students through its 45 national unions in 40 European countries. Since 1982, we represent and promote students’ educational, social, economic and cultural interests at a European level towards all relevant bodies (European Union, BFUG, Council of Europe, and UNESCO) in the Education sector.
We are looking for a creative and dynamic team player to fill the Communication Manager position at our headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
We offer a diverse and multicultural working environment consisting of a Head of the Secretariat, an Executive Assistant, a Project and Research Officer, two Project Officers, and three members of the Presidency. Our headquarter is located in the centre of the EU district!
An experienced, motivated and committed individual to be our next Communication Manager. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about democracy, inclusion and sustainability and wants to make higher education policy-making more understandable and accessible to everyone!
- Brussels, Belgium
- Starting date: 1st February 2023 or sooner
- A one-year fixed-term contract under Belgian employment law, with the possibility of extension.
- The gross monthly salary, according to the Commission Paritaire 329.03 currently applied at ESU, is 2,400.00€, plus legal benefits (transport, food vouchers, per diem during occasional travel, hospitalisation insurance etc.).
- Flexibility about home-teleworking some days per week with a 50€ monthly allowance compensation.
Who are we looking for? Our ideal candidate
- A team player who can work in a multicultural environment.
- 2-3 years of experience (including internships and volunteer work) in media relations and communications or graphic design. Your expertise and experience are more important to us than your academic background!
- Main expected skills are in social media marketing and digital design – knowledge of creative tools such as Canva and Adobe Creative Cloud package are an asset
- Must be proficient in English and capable of meeting tight deadlines.
- Dynamic, creative, and willing to accept new challenges.
- Be aware of communication trends, particularly among young people, and know how to promote social campaigns and organisational priorities externally to our target groups and internally among our members.
- Be capable of supervising and mentoring an young intern whose efforts will supplement those of the communications department.
- IT skills are an asset
All employees are expected to support the planning and implementation of the organisation’s statutory events. There is some travel involved in the position and occasional weekends, which would be compensated.
In this role, you will be expected to
Be responsible for three major tasks: managing external and internal communication, improving the organisation’s image, and supporting the development of ESU’s IT administration. More concretely:
- Management of the organisation’s social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) and the organisation’s website (WordPress);
- Producing graphic materials (mainly for the website and social media): photos, videos, reels, infographics, podcasts;
- Updating and implementing ESU’s Communications strategy;
- Promoting ESU events, projects, publications, campaigns, statements and policies to other stakeholders (NGOs, relevant EU institutions, policymakers) and the wider public;
- Management of the Google Workspace platform, internal email lists and internal communication platforms (Slack platform, Google Apps, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom);
- Collaborating with partner organisations and participation in project-related communication and dissemination of European projects (Erasmus+, Horizon2020, CoE);
- Liaising with relevant media and related institutions; sending Press Releases when relevant in coordination with the Presidency and the Executive Committee teams;
The list and distribution of tasks are illustrative and subject to change based on the candidate’s priorities, initiative and career growth.
How to apply
We are an inclusive organisation aiming to be diverse and reflect society. We encourage everyone who feels qualified to apply regardless of age, disability, chronic illness, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, race, colour or nationality.
If you are interested in applying for the Communication Manager position, please email email@example.com with the subject line ‘Communication Manager – Your Name and Surname’, including
- Your CV (maximum two pages); Europass is better but not mandatory!
- Practical task (see below)
- A portfolio (examples of your work, especially your own graphic & design work).
- Motivational letter explaining why you are interested in the position.
- Text-based work such as publications, press releases and the like (text skills are a plus).
This position’s interviews will take place in January 2023, and the successful candidate will be expected to begin as soon as possible.
Belgium & life in Brussels
Belgium, a country in Western Europe, is known for medieval towns and Renaissance architecture and as the headquarters of the European Union and NATO.
Brussels has an estimated population of 2,065,284 people. In addition to ample green spaces, it is world-renowned for its fine beer, divine chocolate, and Belgian lace. Brussels is Belgium’s quintessential capital city, full of Art Deco taverns, unique Flemish art, towering Gothic cathedrals, and quaint guild houses.
Belgium is also home to the NATO headquarters, the EU Commission, and the European Parliament. Brussels is referred to as the capital of the EU. The city centre is compact, very lively, peculiar and multicultural.
All applicants, whether EU or non-EU citizens are considered equally, and ESU supports selected candidates for the work permit application.
Protection of personal data
As the body responsible for organising the competition, ESU ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons about the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC. This applies, in particular, to the confidentiality and security of such data.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ESU secretariat at +32 2 329 00 27.