Open call for Director
The European Students’ Union (ESU) is looking for a team player to fill the position of the Director at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The Director will manage the ESU Secretariat in Brussels in close cooperation with the Executive Committee which is the political and strategic body of the organisation elected by the National Student Unions: member organisations of ESU. (S)he will work with a multicultural team in the heart of Brussels. The successful candidate will be a dynamic and flexible person with a strong willingness to work in the field of higher education in the not-for-profit sector.
The Director will be responsible for
- Supervise and co-ordinate the work of the Secretariat;
- Be responsible for the daily functioning of the office of the European Students’ Union together with the Presidency and under the guidance of the Executive Committee;
- Managing office finances and ensure timely and accurate finance;
- Overseeing projects, project applications and project planning and implementation;
- Financial management, monitoring and reporting with the Presidency;
- Office management including relations with Belgian Administration, accounting and financial planning, monitoring and reporting;
- Supporting of the accountant with bookkeeping and financial reporting;
- Developing sound office procedures and practices together with the other ESU officers and systems for measuring them;
- Maintaining employee records, preparing and submitting payroll information to the social secretariat and ensuring accurate payment of benefits and allowances in accordance with national legislation;
- Human resources management and in team management;
- Maintaining relations, partnership management and representation with other Brussels based stakeholders with the Presidency;
- Other related tasks.
- 3 to 4 years work experiences with similar organisations;
- A degree or comparable experience in a related field of management and social sciences;
- Proven leadership capacity;
- Organisational, project management and strategic planning skills;
- Knowledge of financial management;
- Knowledge in human resources management;
- Problem management and decision-making skills;
- Proficient in English (the working language of ESU) and the ability to work in French or Dutch (contact with Belgian public administration and other external stakeholders);
- Excellent oral, written and digital communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills within a multinational context;
- Ability to prioritise, respect deadlines and having an eye for detail even under pressure;
- Willing to travel occasionally and required attendance for 2 statutory meetings a year in locations in European Countries.
- Knowledge of the European institutions and other target audiences related to higher education;
- Experience of working in/or with civil society, membership based organisations and general non-profit sector (volunteering included).
Terms of contract
- Open term full-time contract;
- Gross salary 3000 EUR + benefits.
Starting date: May 2017
How to apply
- Please send a CV, a motivation letter and, if available, any letters of recommendation, references and/or work portfolio by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in English.
- The application code to use for the email subject is: ESU_Director – Application. Only candidates using the correct email subject will be considered.
- Applications received on a rolling basis. The vacancy will be closed when we find a suitable candidate.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person if you are based in Brussels or by phone andor skype. Due to the high amount of applications we usually receive, we won’t be able to contact and provide feedback to non-shortlisted applicants.
Recruitment Procedure and Information for applicants
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
First interview dates: 11-12 April 2017
Procedure: The procedure consists of an interview and a written exercise.
Selected candidates will be invited to a second interview with the Presidency of ESU on 24 April 2017.
Aimed start date: May 2017