We are Hiring: Call for Project Managers
The European Students’ Union is looking for 2 creative and dynamic team players to fill the vacant positions of Project Manager at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. In close collaboration with ESU’s elected student representatives, both Project Managers will be in charge of the portfolio of projects which ESU is involved with as a partner and as a coordinator, as well as participate in an exciting period for the organisation where the operational tools and processes are being re-evaluated and restructured.
The division of responsibilities between the 2 Project Managers will depend on the candidates’ specific backgrounds and interests, but a major responsibility for one or both Project Managers will be a project tackling inclusion of refugees in Europe which includes a re-granting scheme for our member organisations.
The other projects are mainly in the areas of Teaching & Learning and the Social Dimension of higher education and candidates with an interest and experience in one of those areas are especially encouraged to apply. Potentially, the roles could evolve into a combination of Project Management and Policy Advice related to the successful candidates’ areas of expertise.
About the European Students’ Union (ESU)
ESU is the umbrella organisation of 46 national unions of students from 39 countries, and through these members represents over 15 million students. The aim of ESU is to represent and promote the educational, social, economic and cultural interests of students at a European level towards all relevant bodies and in particular the European Union, Bologna Follow-Up Group, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
ESU actively promotes students’ rights and equal opportunities for all individuals in higher education. More information is available on esu-online.org.
Responsibilities and areas of work
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the projects under Erasmus+, Horizon2020, Council of Europe and the Open Society Foundation;
- Handle the logistics and all procedures of the projects;
- Managing and implementing the project budget and financial reporting;
- Coordinate and organise meetings, conferences, trainings and other project-related events, and prepare the necessary materials, including reports, presentations, agendas and minutes;
- Acts as a liaison between project coordinators and other people involved in the projects;
- Contribute to the dissemination efforts, for example by identifying relevant practices and drafting web articles;
- Regular reporting and communication with the donor institution(s).
- Contribute to new project proposals preparation (financial and descriptive proposal-writing, coordination with potential partners, etc.);
- Assist in restructuring the management tools and processes of the organisation.
Profile of the candidates
A team player that is able to work within a multicultural environment. Must be flexible and able to stick to tight deadlines. Can expect occasional travel to some events related to the project.
- Minimum of two years of experience in related positions and areas;
- A degree and/or experience within the areas of project management and administration;
- Knowledge and/or experience of the funding programmes from different donors, such as EU’s Erasmus+ and Horizon 2020, European Youth Foundation or private foundations;
- Experience in event management;
- An excellent command of the English language (spoken and written);
- Good communication skills – written and verbal;
- Good ICT skills (MS Office, MS project, Google Drive, etc.);
- Good planning skills and ability to respect deadlines;
- Coordination and team communication skills;
- Strong organisational skills and flexibility;
- Ability to self-motivate, create own schedule, and work individually;
- Happy to work as a member of a team.
The following knowledge and/or skills will be taken as advantage
- Knowledge of the European institutions and other target audiences related to higher education;
- Experience of working in/or with student and/or youth organisations;
- Specifically for the position of managing the Refugee project, experience and/or knowledge in working with refugees, asylum seekers or persons in a refugee-like situation;
- Knowledge of one or more European languages is highly desirable, particularly French.
Terms and conditions
- Permanent full-time contract;
- The successful applicants should start ideally as soon as possible;
- 2400 EUR gross salary + benefits
For more details of the terms of contract, including salary conditions, please contact the ESU’s Vice President Caroline Sundberg and Director Nik Heerens at email@example.com.
How to apply
Please send a CV, including 2 references, and a motivation letter addressing the job requirements and highlighting projects’ experience by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 25 May 2018.
The application code to use for the email subject is: ESU_ProjectManager_2018 – Application. Only candidates using the correct email subject will be considered.
It is expected that the motivation letter would clarify why you are applying for the position, which projects you’re specifically interested in (Refugees; teaching & learning; social dimension), what kind of special skills and benefits you would bring to the organisation and how your past experiences and/or education would support your work as Project Manager.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person if you are based in Brussels or by phone andor skype. Due to the high amount of applications we usually receive, we won’t be able to contact and provide feedback to non-shortlisted applicants.
Recruitment Procedure and Information for applicants:
Closing date: 25 May 2018 23:59 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Procedure: The procedure consists of an interview and a written exercise after the interview.
Aimed start date as soon as possible.