Call for the position of Coordinator for Membership
The Executive Committee (EC) hereby issues the call for the position of Coordinator for Membership at the European Students’ Union (ESU), lasting for 12 months, from July 1st 2023 to June 30th 2024.
The ESU Coordinators are expected to be experts for the issues of their responsibility. The Coordinators have to report on their activities to the Board of ESU twice a year during the Board Meetings. Between the Board Meetings, they are accountable to the Executive Committee, which has to make sure that their activities follow the Plan of Work and the priorities set by ESU policy, the EC and the coordinator.
According to ESU’s Standing Orders, the Coordinator for Membership shall mainly:
● Handle membership issues in accordance with ESU Membership strategy,
● Coordinate and take part in study visits,
● Give trainings on the pillars of the student movement and coordinate other trainings for student unions,
● Elaborate information tools with best practice for the members to facilitate capacity building in the NUSes and local unions.
Following ESU’s Plan of Work 2023-2024, the following tasks fall under the responsibility of the Coordinator, together with the EC:
● ESU will prepare a ‘welcome pack’ to be sent to the new Board members, which would present a brief introduction to ESU, its policies and documents, and to the basic concepts of the European Higher Education Area and the European Education Area.
● ESU will continue strengthening the Pool of Trainers and seek opportunities for externally funded projects to support the activities of the Pool to ensure accessibility of the capacity-building opportunities for the member unions and ESU representatives as well as organise a training for trainers.
● External trainers will be invited to provide sessions to the benefit of the participants of the events, with the aim to disseminate those practices at the national level among ESU’s membership.
● ESU will collect data in a questionnaire on the needs of its members and through the reassessment reports from full member unions to build on shaping the transparency and support work towards the member unions. ESU will continue to strengthen the relationship with the associate organisations.
Candidates are expected to have a genuine interest in contributing to the development of the European Students’ Union in this field and have the appropriate knowledge, experience and capacity in the area of equality and in the student movement for carrying out the mandate and tasks as outlined above. The candidate is also expected to be able to demonstrate ideas for developing the position and the work it entails.
In addition to specific knowledge of the portfolio, the applicants are required to possess the following competencies required to perform successfully in this position:
● Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines,
● Ability to work as an active, reliable team-member on multiple tasks simultaneously, ● Ability to work and communicate effectively as part of a multicultural team, mainly working,
● Ability to deliver oral and written presentations on this policy area,
● Ability to work independently and mostly through online channels,
● Proficiency in spoken and written English.
ESU Coordinators are entitled to receive a monthly allowance of 500 EUR. All expenses related to coordinators performing their duties (such as attending internal ESU events or representing ESU in external events, if mandated) will be covered by ESU in accordance with internal ESU rules (Financial Standing Orders, EC Rules of Procedure).
Being a Coordinator in ESU entails a considerable commitment, both in terms of time and workload. This position requires a dedication of at least 20-25 hours per week on ESU related work, as well as responding to online communication regularly. The coordinator is expected to work from home, but be available for frequent travel. It is required that the written motivation of the applicant reflects the experience in response to the above-mentioned criteria.
In case of being selected, the coordinator must be available to attend the physical handover with the entire team. In extraordinary circumstances, online participation in the handover may be accepted. The physical handover will take place between the 27th of June to the 3rd of July 2023 in Germany. Attendance at the sessions during those days is required.
According to the ESU Standing Orders, the Coordinators are selected by the Executive Committee.
When composing a selection committee, the EC ensures regionally and gender-balanced composition, the expertise of the members as well as avoidance of conflict of interest. The committees are agreed by the EC on the proposal of the Presidency.
The committee will evaluate the applications according to the criteria described in this call, and organise Zoom interviews with the candidates. Interviews will be conducted by the selection committee. After the interview, the notes of the interview will be made available to the Executive Committee.
The whole procedure for selecting coordinators can be found here.
Application documents and deadline:
Candidates are required to send:
● Their Curriculum Vitae
● Their Motivation Letter
A reference or recommendation letter is also accepted, with a letter from an ESU member (full, associate, candidate) being considered an asset.
Applications must be submitted in writing to the ESU Executive Committee. Therefore candidates shall send their full application by email to email@example.com. The deadline for submitting applications is the 21st of May 2023, 23:59 CEST. The applicants should be available for a Zoom interview in the week starting on the 22nd of May 2023.
Should any explanation or further details be needed, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESU Executive Committee