Call for part-time financial officer
ESU is looking for a team player to fill the position of the Financial Officer at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The Financial Officer will be responsible for maintaining financial, accounting and administrative in order to meet internal and legal requirements.
The Financial Officer will be responsible for
- Handling the bookkeeping, including reimbursements and settle payments;
- Administer and monitor the financial system in order to ensure that ESU finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner;
- Ordering payments at the ESU bank account and cross checking payments and receipts;
- Tax declaration and submission of the ESU annual accounts to the National Bank;
- Payroll accounting and collaborate with the Head of Secretariat administering employee files and records in order to ensure accurate payment of benefits and allowances;
- Supporting the Head of the Secretariat and the Presidency in budgeting, cash-flow planning, etc.;
- Financial reporting on EU-funded projects, together with the Project Officer.
- Prepare the annual budget and the financial reporting for the different ESU bodies
- Good knowledge of bookkeeping and payroll accounting;
- A degree and/or comparable experience within the areas of financial management, accountancy and bookkeeping;
- Knowledge and experience in financial reporting for international projects, in particular projects funded by the European Commission, will be considered as advantage;
- Excellent command of English (spoken and written), the working language of ESU. Additional knowledge of one or more European languages is highly desirable, particularly French or Dutch (working language with the payroll accountancy);
- Good computer skills and web literacy; knowledge of accountancy and bookkeeping software BOB50;
- Ability to prioritise, respect deadlines and work with others in a dynamic and multicultural environment;
- Good communication skills – written and verbal;
- Ability to work individually and in a team.
ESU values those who take initiative and strive for constant self-development. We would be very interested to welcome in our team a person with such attributes, interested in student and higher education issues and with a positive, but responsible, attitude towards her/his work responsibilities and colleagues.
The Financial Officer must be a well-organised and hard-working team player, able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment and with tight deadlines.
As an organisation strongly promoting equality, we require all ESU elected representatives and staff to follow the ESU Ethical Guidelines, Code of Conduct and the Gender mainstreaming strategy. (You can find them in our website: www.esu-online.org)
Terms of contract
- Indeterminate part-time employment contract with a six month trial period;
- Based in Brussels; occasional travel
- Gross salary: 1.200,00 EUR/month for 19 hours per week. Additionally, ESU offers food vouchers in the amount of 120,00 EUR/month;
Ideal starting date: 12. January 2015
For more details of the terms of contract, please contact the present ESU Vice-Chairperson at email@example.com or +32 (0) 479 12 63 90.
How to apply
Please send a CV, a motivation letter and, if available, any letters of recommendation, references and/or work portfolio by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in English by 23:59 CET on 31. December, 2014.
It is expected that the motivation letter would clarify why you are applying for the job, what kind of special skills and benefits you would bring to the organisation and how your past experiences and/or education would support your work as FO. Received applications will be evaluated against a predefined scorecard. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Skype and/or in person. If necessary, final applicants will be invited to attend a face-to-face interview in Brussels.