April 19, 2022
Call for students to join the ESU Quality Assurance Student Experts’ Pool for the membership term 2022/2023
The Steering Committee of ESU’s Quality Assurance (QA) Student Experts’ Pool hereby opens a call for 90 members for the term 2022/2021. All applications must be submitted by the 15th of May, 2022, at 23:59 CEST, by filling out the following application form and uploading the necessary documents.
The ESU’s Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool has been established to promote student engagement in quality assurance and contribute to improving higher education provision in the European Higher Education Area. Furthermore, it aims to develop ESU as a crucial partner for quality assurance agencies in Europe and to play a leading role in quality assurance policy developments.
For these purposes, members of the pool are trained and involved in the policy work of ESU. Pool members can also be nominated to participate in quality assurance procedures, e.g. reviews, thus promoting student participation in quality assurance processes across Europe. Through the pool, ESU also undertakes capacity-building and development activities in quality assurance in higher education on the national level, in cooperation with the National Students’ Union members of ESU.
During the past years, ESU has organised several pieces of training at the European level. So far, ESU has nominated an increasing number of students to participate in various international external evaluations organised by different quality assurance agencies all over Europe. Most notably, ESU is cooperating with the Institutional Evaluation Programme of the European University Association (EUA) and is nominating students for external reviews of quality assurance agencies to determine membership in the European Association of Quality Assurance (ENQA) and/or inclusion in the European Quality Assurance Register for Higher Education (EQAR).
Benefits of being a member of the QA Pool:
- learning about European higher education;
- involvement in quality assurance processes at a programme, institutional, national and international levels (e.g. evaluations of institutions and quality assurance agencies);
- possibility to participate in quality assurance governing bodies such as those of quality assurance agencies;
- receiving regular updates about the newest developments in the field of quality assurance;
- opportunities to attend external quality assurance events;
- possibilities for networking with other people interested in the topic of quality assurance;
- opportunities to participate in specially designed pieces of training for experts;
- opportunities to develop transferable skills, such as communication skills, peer assessment, etc.
Tasks and responsibilities that can be expected from ESU’s QA Pool members:
- share knowledge and experience in quality assurance;
- discuss topics in quality assurance and/or student involvement;
- act as multiplier agents in their respective countries;
- disseminate articles or any other documents related to quality assurance among student experts in QA at the national and international levels;
- contribute towards the preparation of meetings and training sessions;
- give feedback on reports, ESU policy papers, or similar documents;
- inform the pool about any quality assurance-related events;
- provide feedback about reviews, pieces of training and conferences to the Steering Committee of ESU’s QA Student Experts Pool;
- promote the ESU’s QA Student Experts’ Pool;
- identify themselves as members of ESU’s QA Student Experts Pool;
- enhance student participation in quality assurance in higher education;
- attend meetings and training sessions organised for ESU’s QA Student Experts Pool members;
- contribute to ESU’s solidarity fund to cover administrative costs and support the sustainability of the QA Pool in case of being remunerated as a consequence of their membership.
In the selection process, we aim to ensure an adequate balance of participants by country and region in Europe, study field, level of study and type of higher education, and a balance of participants of each gender, according to ESU’s Gender Mainstreaming Strategy.
Current pool members are also invited to apply if they wish to continue their membership in the pool.
Criteria for selection:
- Registered higher education student (at any level) or recently graduated (within 1 year) – only if continuing membership;
- Previous experience in various levels of quality assurance in higher education, especially participation in reviews or review-like activities;
- Experience in student representation;
- Willingness to adhere to quality assurance operational procedures and commit time as necessary;
- Excellent command of English.
Looked upon favourably:
- Letter of support from organisations or institutions involved with quality assurance, higher education policies and/or student representation;
- Ability to work in languages other than English (such as French, German or Spanish).
For any queries, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Responsible persons for this call are Irina Duma, Damir Solak and Ana Gvritishvili on behalf of the Steering Committee of the ESU QA Pool, Stanimir Boyadzhiev and Jakub Grodecki on behalf of the ESU Executive Committee.
ESU’s QA Pool New Membership Call – 2022 in PDF