The European Students’ Union is HIRING a new Project Officer!
Are you a value-driven professional passionate about the student movement and about advocating for quality and inclusive education? Then apply now for ESU’s position: we are looking for a Project Officer to join our team and implement our work to promote “equal educational and social opportunities in an open and democratic Europe where students shape a sustainable future.”
More about ESU
The European Students Union (ESU) is the umbrella organisation of 45 National Unions of Students from 40 countries and thus represents over 20 million students in Europe. Since 1982, it represents and promotes the educational, social, economic and cultural interests of students at a European level towards all relevant bodies (European Union, BFUG, Council of Europe, and UNESCO) in the Education sector.
ESU’s work is focused on Students’ Mobility and Internationalisation, Social Dimension and lifelong learning, Quality and Public Responsibility and its activities include conducting European-wide research, partnership projects and campaigns, providing information services and producing a variety of publications for students, policy-makers and higher education professionals; bringing together, resourcing, training and informing national student representatives on policy developments in higher education (HE) at the European level.
About the Position
An experienced motivated and committed individual to be our next Project Officer.
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Starting date: 1st September 2022.
- Duration: One-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of extension. Employment contract under Belgian employment law with a benefits package.
- 2,000.00€ monthly gross salary, which will be commensurate with abilities and experience, plus legal benefits (transport, food vouchers, per diem during occasional travel, etc.).
- Flexibility about teleworking some days per week.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
- Working on the whole project’s cycle (proposal writing, implementation and reporting);
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the projects under Erasmus+, CoE, EYF, and other funding streams;
- Handle the logistics and all procedures of the projects;
- Working on the project’s budget and financial reporting;
- Coordinate and organise meetings, conferences, training and other project-related events, and prepare the necessary materials, including concept notes, reports, presentations, agendas and minutes;
- Acts as a liaison between project coordinators and other people involved in the projects;
- Regular reporting and communication with the donor institution(s) and/or managing authority.
The Secretariat of ESU is small, the workload varies according to project cycles, application and reporting periods, therefore project teams assist each other during times of higher workload.
Eligibility requirements and skills/abilities
The skills and experience to do this job successfully include:
- Experience in working in project management for a minimum of two to three years.
- A person who is full of initiative, self-driven, curious, creative, flexible and results-oriented;
- Solid project life cycle understanding;
- Experience in coordinating and leading a project;
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and compelling manner;
- Good understanding of the functioning of the EU institutions, EU’s political priorities and main policies;
- Understanding of EU Programmes, especially those related to higher education and youth;
- Able to communicate information accurately and in a youth-friendly way;
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to prioritise work, work under tight deadlines and pay attention to detail;
- Is an asset to have a background in youth or student organisation;
- Good ICT skills (MS Office, MS Project, Google Drive, etc.);
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; knowledge of other languages is an assets.
The position might require travel in Europe several times during the year.
How to apply?
ESU is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
If you are interested in applying for the position of Project Officer, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Project Officer – Your Name and Surname’, including:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages), Europass is better but not mandatory!
- And the application form (in pdf format).
- Motivational letter explaining why you are interested in the position.
- A recommendation letter is an asset.
Deadline to apply and agenda:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to be invited to the following phases of the recruitment process, which will consist of a written assignment and one interview.
- ESU Secretariat must receive all applications by the 10th of June (CET)
- By the beginning of the third week of June, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to an online or in-person interview.
- Decision and notification shall take place before the end of June.
The selected person would ideally start working in the Secretariat of ESU on the 1st of September 2022.
ESU is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusion and diversity.
Belgium & life in Brussels
Belgium, a country in Western Europe, is known for medieval towns, and Renaissance architecture and as the headquarters of the European Union and NATO.
Brussels has an estimated population of 2,065,284 people. In addition to ample green spaces, is world-renowned for its fine beer, divine chocolate, and Belgian lace. Brussels is Belgium’s quintessential capital city, full of Art Deco taverns, unique Flemish art, towering Gothic cathedrals, and quaint guild houses.
Belgium is also home to NATO headquarters and to the EU Commission and European Parliament. Brussels is referred to as the capital of the EU. The city centre is compact, very lively, peculiar and multicultural.
The city is easy to get around, has a good standard of living and an excellent working environment. ESU’s premises are situated in Mundo Madou very close to the EU district and the City.
Further information is available at https://visit.brussels/en, https://expatsinbrussels.be/en,
Protection of personal data
As the body responsible for organising the competition, ESU ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC. This applies in particular to the confidentiality and security of such data.
For more information, please send an email to: email@example.com or call the ESU secretariat: +32 2 329 00 27
Call for Project Officer (PDF)