Welcome to ESU’s QA Student Experts Pool
This page provides a collection of resources and training materials that enable members of the European Students’ Union (ESU) Student Experts Pool on Quality Assurance (QA) to carry out their duties, student representatives to participate in tasks relating to higher education quality, and students to improve their learning experiences.
It is often beneficial for staff members of organisations concerned with higher education quality to recognize students’ positions in these processes.
Listen, Talk and Team-Up
Considerations for panel members in external quality assurance
Conversation, investigation and presentation skills are essential for value-added and open discussions in external quality assurance (EQA) and for further promoting trust in, and enhancement and development of the related evaluation procedures. In this regard, reflections on attitude and behaviour are of high importance as the QA reviewers are responsible for the impact of their review activities. The different stakeholders represented on each panel must bring their own points of view, based on experience and knowledge to bear on the evaluation procedures while building on the views and interests of their peers.
At this year’s edition of the INQAAHE conference termed “Re-Imagining of Higher Education Quality in an Age of Uncertainty” the ESU Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool Steering Committee has presented the students’ perspective on the future of Quality Assurance.
During the poster presentation the Steering Committee, first, displayed the ESU Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool as an example for structurally embedded student representation in Quality Assurance on the one hand, and as a platform for development, innovation and exchange on the other hand. Afterwards, the Steering Committee presented the students’ perspective on potential developments of QA in the upcoming years to work towards a vision on the future of Quality Assurance with a strong emphasis on student involvement. To gather data and directly involve the knowledge base of the ESU Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool student experts they were consulted in both a qualitative and a quantitative way via a questionnaire and a digitally organized Think Tank.
Please have a closer look at the poster to learn more about the outcomes of the questionnaire and the Think Tank and how student experts from the ESU Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool see the future of Quality Assurance. At this point the Steering Committee would like to thank all ESU Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool members that have contributed with their expertise and ideas for the future of QA from a students’ perspective in this project.Download the poster
About the QA Experts Pool
In 2009, the European Students’ Union (ESU) established a pool of committed and well-prepared students who aim to improve higher education provision in Europe through quality assurance procedures.
The establishment of this pool is how ESU promotes and develops student participation in quality assurance all over Europe. The pool is renewed once a year and has an independent Steering Committee, which launches the calls and selects the applicants based on public criteria.
ESU organises study sessions, workshops and other events for pool members where they are trained.
The pool brings together students from all parts of Europe, their experience and knowledge, and an excellent forum for debating, sharing views and learning about quality assurance.
These students contribute to the ESU policymaking process, act as multipliers agents in their respective countries, collaborate in several projects, participate in Quality Assurance reviews, etc.
Members of the Quality Assurance Experts Pool
Currently, there are 73 students in ESU’s Student Experts Pool on Quality Assurance (QA Pool), allowing them to participate in various events, training and quality assurance and enhancement provisions. Members of the pool are being annually recruited, usually starting from the end of May/beginning of June, with an open call issued at esu-online.org.
Following is a list of people that were selected as members of the QA Pool in July 2022:
Name Surname Country of residence Erdoğan Taha Akbaş Turkey Luljeta Aliu Mulaj Kosovo Agata Andrzejczyk Poland Natália Antalová Slovakia Constantin-Marius Aradan Romania Beatriz Atienza Carbonell Spain Simge Ayyıldız Turkey Lauge Lunding Bach Denmark Jakub Bakonyi Poland Bruna Bandula Croatia Christopher Bohlens Germany Mehmet Bora Turkey Stanimir Boyadzhiev Bulgaria Mia Brzakovic Ireland Davide Busato Italy Eren Çanga Turkey Sena Çatal Turkey Tamara Ciobanu Romania Fien Cox Belgium Robi Cvitić Croatia Julia De Bono Malta Matej Drobnič Slovenia Ana Duplava Romania Eda Eren Turkey Michal Farník Czechia Michał Goszczyński Poland Natalia Greniewska Poland Leander Gussmann Austria Gaga Gvenetadze Georgia Lukáš Hulínský Czech Republic Máté Huszár Croatia Cocuz Iuliu Gabriel Romania Francisco Joaquín Jiménez Gonzalez Spain Hilal Karaoglan Turkey Sara Kawasmi Malta Thomas Keuthen Germany Anna Klampfer Austria Adrian Korzeniowski Poland Paula Carolina Lozano Duarte Spain Joanna Maruszczak Poland Jeremy Mifsud Malta Velibor Mladenovici Romania Damon Mohebbi Germany Mariana Morgado Portugal Liv Teresa Muth Belgium Sebastian Neufeld Germany Andrea Paricio Henares Spain Laura Peiró-Márquez Spain Rebeca Puente Mares Spain Enrico Pulieri United Kingdom Antonio Ramos Vázquez Spain Michella Ravn Søndergaard Denmark Mari Ruadze Georgia Mick Scholtka Danmark Suleyman Solmazgul Turkey Arnoldas Solovjovas Lithuania Ömer Faruk Sönmez Turkey Elena Štefancová Slovakia Revaz Tabatadze Georgia Berkay Tarım Turkey José Manuel Teira Alcaraz Spain Iancu Teodor-Radu Romania Topias Tolonen Sweden Angel Tores Spain Floor van der Wal The Netherlands Nienke Wessel The Netherlands Edgar Wienhausen Germany Alexandra-Simona Zamfir Romania Jessica Ziegler Germany Duma Irina* Romania Pavletić Pegi * Croatia Solak Damir* Czechia Gvritishvili Ana Gvritishvili ** Georgia Onița Horia*** Romania/Belgium
* Steering Committee member
** ESU Executive Committee member
*** ESU Presidency member (without ESU QA Pool membership)
Benefits and responsibilities
The ESU Student Experts’ Pool on Quality Assurance has been established to promote student engagement in quality assurance and to contribute to the improvement of higher education provision in the European Higher Education Area.
Thus, pool members are expected to:
- share their own experience on quality assurance,
- discuss topics on QA and/or student involvement,
- act as multiplier agent at their respective countries,
- disseminate articles or any other documents related to QA at national or international level,
- contribute to preparation of the meetings and training sessions,
- give feedback to studies or other requests, such an ESU policy paper,
- inform the pool about any QA-related event at international level,
- promote the ESU student experts’ pool on quality assurance,
- identifying themselves as members of this pool,
- foster student participation in quality assurance
Benefits for being a member of QA Pool:
- learning about European higher education
- Involvement in quality assurance processes at programme, institutional, national and international levels (e.g. evaluations of institutions and quality assurance agencies)
- Opportunities to represent the pool to external events and governing bodies, such as the steering committee of the European Quality Assurance Forum
- possibilities for networking
- opportunity to participate in specially designed trainings for reviewers
- opportunity to develop communication skills, etc.
Tasks and responsibilities that can be expected from QA Pool members:
- share their own experience on quality assurance;
- discuss topics on quality assurance and/or student involvement;
- act as multiplier agent at their respective countries;
- participate in reviews;
- disseminate articles or any other documents related to quality assurance at national or international level;
- contribute to preparation of the meetings and training sessions;
- give feedback to studies or other requests, such an ESU policy paper;
- inform the pool about any quality assurance-related event at international level;
- promote the ESU student experts’ pool on quality assurance;
- identifying themselves as members of this pool;
- foster student participation in quality assurance.
Welcome to ESU’s QA Student Experts Poo
ESU’s Student Experts’ Pool on Quality Assurance is supported by a group of dedicated students – the Steering Committee, who is responsible for launching calls for new members and overseeing the pool’s work.
The group consists of five individuals, out of which two are members of ESU’s Executive Committee. The other three are being selected annually from the pool members, with an internal call being issued by the end of January/beginning of February.
The following members are appointed for the Steering Committee:
Please, contact the pool via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Open Call for Participants for the project “Academic Freedom – Time to Act!”
- Academic Freedom 101 Workshop, time to act for your rights!
- ESC-tension Project: why do we need a European Student Card
- Trial of University of Bologna student in Egypt postponed again
- UDU – From 0 to 100: we want it all!
- The UN Transforming Education Summit: Not a Tempest in a teapot
- ESU’s contribution on the European Commission’s Calls for evidence on digital skills and digital education
- Students Need To Be At The Centre Of The European Year of Skills
- Open Call for participants! Academic Freedom – Time to Act!
- ÖH Anti-Inflation Package “In Solidarity against Inflation”